Monday, December 12, 2005

Muscles

Do you ever have a dream where you remember just enough details to make you wish that you remembered more--what the context was, the meaning, etc.? I happened to wake up mid-dream this morning. I don't remember much about the dream. I was in church, singing a hymn. The hymn went like this: "God, give muscles to the boy/God, give muscles to the boy/God, give muscles to the boy/God, give muscles to the boy." I even woke up remembering the tune (though I can't remember it now). But I don't know who this boy was that I was singing about. I realize that this is the season of advent, so I suppose it's possible that my subconscious was singing about the incarnation--that God would not just send baby Jesus, but give him muscles. Perhaps it was like Chariots of Fire, and there was a little boy in the congregation who refused to break the Sabbath for little league baseball, so he was going to compete in a sport he'd never competed in, like professional wrestling, and it was an important witnessing opportunity, so we were all praying for his muscles so he'd win and there could be a made-for-tv movie about it. Maybe there was a little boy who had never been bitten by a genetically-enhanced spider but had fought a villain named the Green Goblin anyway, and the only way for him to be able to stop a train from hurtling to destruction was if God gave him additional muscles. Maybe "the boy" was an allegory for the church, and "muscles" was an allegory for the Bible and sacraments. Any alternate interpretations out there?

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Teresa Tulip said...

Perhaps your dream was really a divine sign of affirmation for Charles Kingsley's brand of "muscular Christianity," which was popular in the nineteenth-century. You should stand on street corners and proclaim the word of Kingsley, so that everyone will read Westward Ho! Then I can write articles about Kingsley and become famous. Woo hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home