Saturday, October 07, 2006

What's Green in Black and White and Read all over?

When I was a youngster, I knew just what I wanted to be when I grew up. A super-hero. In fact, I'd be perfectly open to starting my superhero career in kindergarten, if that was what the Lord wanted. After all, God was all-powerful and all-wise: He must have placed this desire on my heart because He was going to use me as an instrument for His divine butt-kickin', right? My favorite super-hero of them all was Green Lantern. When I was 5, I prayed the longest prayer I had ever before prayed (in fact, perhaps it is still the longest!): in humble supplication, I beseeched God that He would send me a Green Lantern power ring. I gave God detailed instructions about where He could place the ring for me to find when I woke up. I waxed eloquent to God on all the selfless, beneficent deeds I would do with the power ring, such as replacing my grandmother's ugly grandfather clock with a beautiful green grandfather clock. Basically, Green Lantern's power is that he could make anything he wanted, so long as it was green. Now that's what I call real ultimate power!

Inexplicably, God must have put the power ring in the wrong place, and I never found it. Nevertheless, I still have a certain nostalgia when I think of Green Lantern. To this day, I remember his oath: "In brightest day, in blackest night/No evil shall escape my sight/Let those who worship evil's might/Beware my power, green lantern's light." So when I saw that Amazon was selling the first 20 issues of Green Lantern in paperback, that it was under $10, and that it was eligible for their "4 books for the price of 3" promotion, how could I refuse?

Sure, the early issues were campy. Sure, they were ethnically offensive, as Green Lantern is befriended by his "little Eskimo greasemonkey," named "Pieface," whose stock-phrase interjection was always "jumping fishhooks!" But the biggest problem with the paperback is that the collected stories represented Green Lantern's world in black and white. Literally.

I know, I know. It might not seem like a big deal that DC reprinted former color comics in black and white. Yes, black and white does work on a nice metaphorical level about simpler times, when the differences between right and wrong were more clearcut. It might even seem to work well on the aesthetic level: after all, you might think that a black and white grandfather clock is more pleasing to the eye than a green one. What you fail to take into account is a critical point in the Green Lantern mythos: because of an impurity in its composition, the power ring cannot work against anything that is yellow, which means every issue involves a case in which the ring does not work.

It is interesting to note that the publisher of Green Lantern, DC, got its name from "Detective Comics." DC comics often do offer more mysteries to be solved than do their counterparts at Marvel comics. For example, in Superman 122, Superman's sidekick Jimmy Olsen is dreaming rather loudly, "Foreign diplomats ... to see you ... president Superman," and an overhearing Superman thinks to himself, "Seems Jimmy is dreaming I'm President in the future! But ... it's impossible for Superman ever to be the chief executive of the U.S.!" The caption taunts the reader, "Can you guess why Clark is so positive that Jimmy's dream could never be fulfilled?" Since I am a super-sleuth, I guessed the right answer! For those of you less sleuthful, Superman reveals at the end, "If you'll read the constitution of the U.S....You'll find a provision which states that only native-born Americans can ever be President!" You see, you had to perform detective work and critical reasoning skills to realize that Superman was born on Krypton. Otherwise, he would be President.

I bring in the "Detective Comics" background to point out that DC only intended some elements of the story to require detective-work. While readers might be meant to puzzle out, "How is Green Lantern going to get out of this one?" they weren't supposed to have to guess, "What color is that menacing creature thing?" Knowing whether something is yellow or not becomes of crucial importance in understanding what's going on. I do have to admit that, much of the time, Green Lantern does try to keep his color-blind readers in the loop: for example, on the cover of Showcase Presents #24, Green Lantern informs his readers in a thought bubble, "Yellow beams from that monster's eyes...weakening me...making me powerless to resist." But other times, you just don't know. For example, in Green Lantern #8, when Green Lantern travels to 5700 A.D. to fight evolved gila monsters which are called Zegors, he notices, "the eye-blast of that Zegor and my power beam--are cancelling each other out!" Is it because the power beams are yellow, or because they are beams of magnitudinous power?

Sometimes you can get really faked out--there was a time when Green Lantern's power ring wouldn't work on a red missile, because it turned out it was really "infrayellow," which is just like "infrared," in that you can't see it, but it's there. (Scientists might call it "Infrayellow of the gaps.") As a detective, I had to piece together that not only did the missile not appear yellow to me, but it did not appear yellow to Green Lantern, except that it really was invisibly yellow, even though my first guess was that it was invisibly yellow, but only invisibly yellow to me and visibly yellow to Green Lantern and his original readers. Do you see how confusing this gets?

Still, it makes you appreciate the little things you take for granted. Like not being color-blind. Like gila monsters not having eye beams. Like infrayellow rays bouncing harmlessly off of us all the time, when for Green Lantern, it was a matter of life and death. Maybe I'm lucky I couldn't find that power ring after all.

Note: I'm not sure where the "infrayellow" story takes place, so it's possible I misremembered that it involved a missile. I don't have the patience to read the entire book over again, but if you find out the answer, let me know.

Later Later note (Nov. 13, 2006): an anonymous commenter found the quote! I was indeed misremembering the missile connection. Anyway, check out the comments to discover the infrayellow reference in context!

8 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was awesome.
Ninja's sure are cool!

I loved this bit on that link:
"Facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.

2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people."

But you said that DC stands for "Detective Comics," and then proceeded to call the company DC comics. Do you say PIN number, too? Do you work for the Office of Repeating Redundancy?
And lots of dashes, too. Way cool!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

While writing the blog, the irony of "Detective Comics Comics" did cross my mind. Nevertheless, they do go by "DC Comics."

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is in Green Lantern (vol. 2) #8, "The Challenge From 5700 A.D.!" (There's a mouthfull...)

It is not a missile. It is a sea monster. I believe what you are remembering is another early Silver Age Green Lantern story involving a missile that appears red, but actually has tiny light bulbs all over it...for some reason. I can't find the issue for that, but I undesrtand why you would get them confused.

----------

JORDAN: "eh? My ring has no effect on it--none at all! Strange! I can't understand--It's not yellow--!*"

(later)

CAPTION: "Under the influence of the emerald ray a strange fact becomes clear..."

JORDAN: "No wonder my ring has no effect on the creature! It's giving off an invisible golden light--a sort of infrayellow color--!*"

CAPTION: "*Editor's note: Just as infrared is invisible red light, so infrayellow is considered invisible yellow light!"

----------

I was a bit annoyed over this. Ah, well... C'est la vie.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

Thanks a lot for finding out the issue (and the context) for me. Mea culpa on the missile confusion.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem! I'm a Green Lantern nerd/fanatic/whatever. I had the book, remembered the story, and wanted to use that example for a report I'm writing as well. I was trying to see if anybody else on the internet had posted anything about it and... well... there was very little info, but I did find out what issue it was in, and so I looked it up in Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, and I posted. ^_^

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

Okay, I can't restrain my curiosity. What's your report about, and how does infrayellow fit in?

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The report was on comic books and how they 'grew up.' Early stories were, to be honest, really lame, and lacked any sort of scientific basis for anything that they did. Perfect example: Infrayellow.

Nowadays, the writing isn't scientifically perfect. The writers are only human, after all. But it is much better. It takes a bit more thought. And the themes are most definately a lot more mature. Black Adam ripped a guy in half to make an example of him. Dr. Light raped Sue Dibny. Comic books grew up. They aren't for kids anymore.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for taking so long to respond. The report was on comic books and how they 'grew up.' Early stories were, to be honest, really lame, and lacked any sort of scientific basis for anything that they did. Perfect example: Infrayellow.

Nowadays, the writing isn't scientifically perfect. The writers are only human, after all. But it is much better. It takes a bit more thought. And the themes are most definately a lot more mature. Black Adam ripped a guy in half to make an example of him. Dr. Light raped Sue Dibny. Comic books grew up. They aren't for kids anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home