Thursday, August 17, 2006

Devil Helps Environment?

According to Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen, it may be possible to curb global warming by shooting sulfur into the atmosphere. With artillery guns. Take that, atmosphere! But I suppose what I find strangest about the recommendation is that I tend to associate sulfur with ... well ... the Devil. And when I think of places that are very warm, again, I think of the Devil. (Norse mythologists may have different climate associations.) So to say that a substance I associate with the Devil may help curb global warming is counter-intuitive to me. I suppose there is a kind of poetry in the idea--in the Bible, bad guys are always digging pits and then accidentally falling into them ... Satan's trying to kill Jesus and accidentally making him risen Lord and Savior... so there's a kind of fittingness in the Devil trying to ravage the world with hellfire but accidentally cooling it by his very presence. God can work good out of evil, and even out of sulfur. And even out of pancakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home