Monday, September 04, 2006

A Minor Observation

Wow. I have to express some surprise (along with Janeeyreish) that the last blog entry has generated the largest number of comments in the history of this blog, and I am still scratching my head wondering why. I recall a philosophy professor suggesting that college students were fairly uninterested when it came to issues like "What is truth?" and pretty loud when it came to aesthetic issues like "Metallica sucks!" Maybe we express our opinions more readily about aesthetic issues (music, cuteness, etc.) because the conclusions seem more personal: we like the "truth" because we think it is the truth (objective), but we like a rock band because ... we like it. (Or, in the case of Celtic punk, because it is the awesomest musical creation in existence.) An assault on a favorite rock band can seem a personal attack on one's own identity and interests, because aesthetic judgments often seem more subjective and more like a product of "choice" than truth judgments do. Perhaps ironically, cuteness is objectively more compelling than other subjects because it has this subjective component. Or maybe it's because this is a labor day weekend and people were bored. Either way, the enigma of cuteness remains.

4 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually going to respond, but I forgot the username/password combination for my original account so I became too distraught.

I can't post now because I'll look like a jonny-come-lately.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

Hey Geech, good to hear you. Your last entry on your blog (Feb. 26) was about your not doing too well at an attempted mugging, and then nothing since then. I figured you must be in jail or something.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually just created that blog to post comments on this blog. Then I posted the mugging thing because the idea of beginning mugger made me laugh very hard and I thought it ought to be shared.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Leopoldtulip said...

That's sweet. So often mugging is all about taking, but you have shown me that it is about sharing as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home